Subject: Re: Quadra / 1.5 problem
To: None <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/2000 18:23:16
At 11:01 Uhr +0100 27.12.2000, Michael Lorenz wrote:

>my problem is this: whenever I try to boot a kernel ( booter is as new
>as possible, installer and mkfs too ) it loads properly, finds all my
>devices but when it tries to mount it's root partition it panics with
>panic: cnopen: cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV

[...]

>my machine is a Quadra 700, 20MB RAM, 512KB VRAM, sd0 is a 500MB Seagate
>for MacOS only, sd1 is a 1GB Seagate mainly for NetBSD, sd2 is a ZIP (
>can't be the problem, worked on hp300 )

You are using 1.5, right? The 1.5 (and, as I heard, 1.4.3) grf_obio code
wants to map a chunk of IO space that has already been mapped by the esp
driver code, fails, and refuses to attach intvid. This was tracked down and
fixed by Scott Reynolds in -current shortly after the NetBSD 1.5 release,
and the fix was subsequently pulled up to the 1.5 branch.

You can either

o  install NetBSD 1.4.2 (way better SCSI performance than 1.5, too)
o  build a kernel from freshly sup'ed source (which is 1.5.1 ALPHA, i.e.
the 1.5.1 branch)
o  get the 1.5 branch via anoncvs.

Probably you could also get obio/grf_obio.c from the tip of the 1.5 branch
(e.g through the web interface), and slap it on top of the 1.5 sources. You
should be able to use your 1.5 installation with a serial console instead
of the built-in console.

	hauke