Subject: Re: IIcx fails at boot - Error 79
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/2000 00:25:11
Not so long ago Dave Huang said:

> So no mention of sd0 or anything like that even earlier in the boot
> messages? How about ncrscsi0 or sbc0? (Which kernel, and which version
> of NetBSD are you using anyway? The GENERIC NetBSD 1.5 from kern.tgz?)
> It seems like if you're getting error 79, that means it did recognize
> your hard drive, but it's not happy with the partitioning on it. I don't
> know if this is convenient or possible for you to do, but it'd be
> helpful if you could post a copy of the entire boot messages (use serial
> boot echo, and a null modem cable hooked up to another machine).

Kernel 1.5 on a IIcx. Yes, standard affair - kern.tgz. I couldn't hook up a
serial echo. But I wrote down some key points:

target device: sd0
sd0(ncrscsi0:0:0): Severe Error code 0x0
[that is printed about 12 times]
no file system for sd0 (dev0x400)
cannot mount root

> Also, you mention that after getting the error, it asks for a root
> device... something like "root device (default sd0a):"? What do you get
> if you type "?" at that prompt?

Use one of: fd0[a-h] ae0 sd0[a-h] halt

Using halt forces a reboot.

Thanks very much for your advises. I think I will reformat my drives
tomorrow and try again. If it still fails, I will re-partition (putting the
MacOS partition last rather than first) and try again.

I'll keep you posted..
Matthew