Subject: Re: IIcx fails at boot - Error 79
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/26/2000 22:02:21
Not so long ago Bob Nestor said:

> Matthew Theobalds wrote:
>
>> A recent install on a IIcx fails at boot with an Error of type 79. It fails
>> to mount the root filesystem. I've tried a lot of things, and can't think of
>> what could be wrong.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Error 79 must be coming from MacOS, not from NetBSD.  If so it means you
> never got at far as getting the kernel loaded.  My old Mac book says an
> errror 79 is "spdAdjErr - unable to correctly adjust disk speed".  Sounds
> like you might be trying to boot from a floppy or you have some real
> problems with your hard drive.

Thanks for the hasty response. However, this occurs after the booter
application has killed all processes and begun the boot. It recognises my
Cards, ADB, Ethernet etc. Only when it tries to mount the filesystem it gets
the error. I assume therefore that I am out of the Mac OS at that point.

It then asks me to specify the Root filesystem. A system to dump to. And the
Filesystem. I then have to choose halt and reboot.

Thanks for your advises.
Matthew