Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on SE/30
To: None <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/2000 02:51:44
Hi,

From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:56:54 -0500

shigeki> Mac68k machines's cpu is so slow in it's clock rate, so it'll take
Takeshi> Surely, too slow. It takes about two days to finish "make release".
briggs> It is extremely slow by today's standards, but the limiting factor for
briggs> the mac68k is probably interrupt/disk speed, not clock rate.  From

Umm... Exactly, SCSI I/O is very slow now. but there is an element that CPU
clock is low speed.

My LC630 is one of the fastest machine in mac68k, which has 040 40/80MHz
and ATA Drive(& ATA Driver).

# In this case, SCSI problem is no relative.

But 2 days for "make release".

briggs> messages that I've seen over the past week, it looks like the interrupt
briggs> path has gotten slower since 1.4.2.  I am looking at the disk speed
briggs> in my spare time again (for the Quadras, anyway).

I wait your works.

> > Cross compile?
briggs> I heard that there may be some problems cross-compiling applications
briggs> that use shared libraries for the m68k.  This might not be a problem
briggs> when we change to ELF (mvme68k has moved to ELF, sun3 is on the way,
briggs> we need to get going on it--any volunteers? ;-).

I cannot expect what we should do. What we should do to move to ELF?

Takeshi Shibagaki
ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp