Subject: Re: Is the PPP performance a hardware issue perhaps?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/2000 13:01:15
At 11:17 AM -0500 12/22/00, Allen Briggs wrote:
> > What do macs use as far as a UART chip on their serial ports?
>
>AMD 8530.  This has a fixed 3-byte FIFO.  Some of the "newer" macs
>have an extended version of this chip that does have a deeper FIFO,
>but IIRC, we don't detect and use that.  That would probably help,
>if we need to explicitly support it.  DMA on the IIfx, Q900, Q950,
>AWS95, Q/C660, Q840 would be nice, too.

It was originally a Zilog chip designed to mate with the Z80 ---
which is where I learned to program it.  I think it could be
assembling a fourth character while it had 3 complete in the FIFO,
because the documentation I read called it a 4-byte FIFO.  I haven't
looked at it in more than 10 years you understand.

It shouldn't require any special code to support a deeper FIFO
because I think the status flag/interrupt was just on Tx empty and on
Rx available.  Then there was an error flag/interrupt for receive
FIFO overflow, but no indication anywhere about the fill level of the
FIFO.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.