Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on SE/30
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/2000 10:56:54
On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 11:51:07PM +0900, Takeshi Shibagaki wrote:
> shigeki> Mac68k machines's cpu is so slow in it's clock rate, so it'll take
> Surely, too slow. It takes about two days to finish "make release".

It is extremely slow by today's standards, but the limiting factor for
the mac68k is probably interrupt/disk speed, not clock rate.  From
messages that I've seen over the past week, it looks like the interrupt
path has gotten slower since 1.4.2.  I am looking at the disk speed
in my spare time again (for the Quadras, anyway).

> Cross compile?

I heard that there may be some problems cross-compiling applications
that use shared libraries for the m68k.  This might not be a problem
when we change to ELF (mvme68k has moved to ELF, sun3 is on the way,
we need to get going on it--any volunteers? ;-).

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service