Subject: Re: 1.5 segmentation fault, core dump, lock up ,bash
To: Guy Santiglia <guy@santiglia.com>
From: Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/2000 00:40:38
Sorry I've not written in so long.

Guy Santiglia <guy@santiglia.com> writes:

> > Did you run following command to change previous shell for bash2 after
> > installing bash2 via pkgsrc?

[...]

> I didn't do those commands.  I just tested bash on the command line:
>
> # bash

There're 3 shells in my NetBSD/mac68k box and default shell(=login
shell) is "csh" for both root and me.
---
nana: {1} cat /etc/shells
#       $NetBSD: shells,v 1.3 1996/12/29 03:23:07 mrg Exp $
#
# List of acceptable shells for chpass(1).
# Ftpd will not allow users to connect who are not using
# one of these shells.

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/ksh
---

I typed shell itself to check how it works(or runs?).

nana: {1} ksh
$             <--- return (just test)
$ man ksh     <--- works fine
$             <--- return (just test)
$ csh
nana: {1}     <--- returned to csh well

> Those commands below are to make the change of shell permament for the
> user.   Do you think that would fix the the problem I was having.

Why don't you give that commmand a try?

Don't delete shell programs before changing "/etc/shell" and "vipw"
using _chsh_ and _chpass -s shell-name_. You would go to hell if you
deleted shells before changing.

Take care,
---
Shigeki Uno