Subject: Re: ppp performance, revisited
To: None <ewinkler@erols.com, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Halim Chtourou <halim@onemain.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/2000 16:13:26
I've been running on the 1.4.2 firewall kernel for a few hours now. Speeds are
slightly improved, however, still not as good as Mac OS or Windows-based 56k modem
connections. I've had a couple downloads that actually reached 4-5k/sec,
unfortunately they usually drop to 3-3.5k/sec (as silo overflows still show up on
the syslog).  1.4.2 does actually seem to have faster serial performance than 1.4.3,
but still not as fast as things should (could?) be.  I saw some posts in the
port-amiga list about SERIBUF/SEROBUF and a LEV6_DEFER kernel compile option that
were recommended for silo overflow problems, but they don't seem to work when
compiling a mac68k kernel.  This whole situation reminds me of the Performa 6200
series serial port problem. They have trouble going higher than 19200bps  because of
the lack of serial DMA (and a 32bit bus with a PPC chip).

Any other suggestions?

-Halim