Subject: Re: intvid problems with 1.5 kernels
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/2000 11:23:24
On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 07:49:18AM -0500, Chas Williams wrote:
> it appears that esp only sets those registers and then leaves them
> alone.

It sets the registers once, but it reads from them on quick transfers.
See the 'esp_dafb_have_dreq()' function.  That uses the bus space handle
that's returned from the mapping.

Erik Winkler has observed that the system seems to be slowing down
and becoming less stable with more features being added.  I know
I've been guilty of some changes that jive with that observation.
However, the trend is partly due to the fact that we don't have
enough people actively doing development.  I think the port could
be much faster and still keep many or all of the features that it
has, but it will take someone working on it.  NetBSD is a very open
development community that welcomes new developers.  To get involved,
all you have to do is jump in!  (Just like Linux, except that
non-i386 systems are not second- or third-class citizens, and we
have a few more people with actual access to the main source tree ;-)
If you add or improve something, send the patches to Scott or myself,
or submit a PR with the send-pr command.  Changes will be brought into
the main development tree for NetBSD-current.  If you have questions,
we're happy to answer mail on or off the list.  I've never visited,
but some developers do spend time on #netbsd on IRC, too.

I don't have much time for mac68k development and haven't for several
years.  I'm happy to look at changes from people and happy to include
them in NetBSD with full attribution.  We can't include code that's
never submitted, and we can't answer questions that are never asked.  :-)

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service