Subject: Re: install doc additions
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2000 17:52:17
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>> hubert@feyrer.de wrote:
>>
>> >Can someone please have a look at PR 8447 (Install instructions do not
>> >include details on sysinst/mac68k use) and work in the rather large
>> >patches into our install docs, please?
>>
>> This INSTALL docs were not upgraded on purpose because there are still
>> some issues with sysinst.  When the code is straightened out the docs
>> will get updated.  In the meantime you can get the new docs from my site
>> if you're interested.
>>
>>   ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/
>
>It would be good to honestly present the current state of affairs in
>the INSTALL docs, IMO. The change from where we are to where we want
>to be would then be fairly small: "should avoid using" -> "may use".
>When I looked at it last, I had trouble pulling Bob's patches against
>1.4.3 down cleanly into current -- so much has changed in that area,
>concerning the troff macros and the build structure. (My mac is still
>running 1.4.3.) Someone needs to tackle this on -current.

The original sysinst code and INSTALL changes were done on a 1.3.2
system, so I can believe it would be difficult to pull them up to any
newer version.  However, last I heard (just prior to the 1.5 release)
someone was reviewing the INSTALL changes - Michael ????.  Maybe they
have something that's a bit more current?

-bob