Subject: Re: install doc additions
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2000 08:32:22
> There might be other things in basesrc/distrib/mac68k that are
> redundant with recent changes in basesrc/etc, and the miniroot should
> build now, too, if anyone wants to jump in. (Todd?) It's an open
> question whether we even want to provide a miniroot -- I'm opening it
> now. :-)

IMHO there is little-or-no difference between a "diskimage" and a miniroot.
The concept of being able to 'dd' a file onto a disk with one system and use
that to boot+install another, is valid just about everywhere. It Is Good.

Also, it has the nice property of not overflowing a floppy (i386!) or stomping
the boot loader (sparc!) ... and the kernel is just GENERIC so it presents
less risk of crossing a memory hole (mac68k! sparc! anyone I forgot?) ...

I've got my hands full until the end of the month because of the holidays.
Santa needs to bring me another UPS so I can bring the rest of the machine
room back to life :)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com