Subject: Re: install doc additions
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2000 10:11:57
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:

> hubert@feyrer.de wrote:
>
> >Can someone please have a look at PR 8447 (Install instructions do not
> >include details on sysinst/mac68k use) and work in the rather large
> >patches into our install docs, please?
>
> This INSTALL docs were not upgraded on purpose because there are still
> some issues with sysinst.  When the code is straightened out the docs
> will get updated.  In the meantime you can get the new docs from my site
> if you're interested.
>
>   ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/sysinst/

It would be good to honestly present the current state of affairs in
the INSTALL docs, IMO. The change from where we are to where we want
to be would then be fairly small: "should avoid using" -> "may use".
When I looked at it last, I had trouble pulling Bob's patches against
1.4.3 down cleanly into current -- so much has changed in that area,
concerning the troff macros and the build structure. (My mac is still
running 1.4.3.) Someone needs to tackle this on -current.

There might be other things in basesrc/distrib/mac68k that are
redundant with recent changes in basesrc/etc, and the miniroot should
build now, too, if anyone wants to jump in. (Todd?) It's an open
question whether we even want to provide a miniroot -- I'm opening it
now. :-)

Frederick