Subject: Re: Thanks! (RE: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k)
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/2000 19:32:04
At 1:20 Uhr +0100 16.12.2000, Pat Wendorf wrote:
>- The SCSI performance seems a little slow.  I know this is a fairly old
>machine, but I have a few x86 boxes of similar CPU speed (33mhz), and
>the IDE on my 486's seems significantly faster in NetBSD.

1.5 has quite a SCSI performance problem on Quadra class machines. "bonnie"
shows less than half the 1.4.1 performance for 1.5 on my Quadra 700.

>- How do I enable soft-updates?

By adding an option to the corresponding fstab entry. "man 5 fstab" should
provide details.

>- Why does the /etc/rc.conf come so bare?  The 1.4.2 x86 NetBSD
>/etc/rc.conf has all sorts of options that are turned off by default,
>but are already documented in rc.conf.  Yes, I'm very lazy :)

That's what we all are.  ;)

/etc/defaults/rc.conf has the defaults for rc.conf (surprise!). You only
need to add overriding settings to /etc/rc.conf, and an OS update can
replace the default rc.conf transparently.

>- What type of stability does this platform offer?  Should I trust it to
>do secondary DNS or similarly light tasks for a network of 25
>computers?  What about something like more demanding like dialup
>NAT/Firewall/Socks5 with 25 computers?

[hauke@espresso] ~ > uname -a
NetBSD espresso.causeuse.org 1.4.1 NetBSD 1.4.1 (SMOKELESS) #1: Wed Jun 21
08:56:12 CEST 2000
hauke@q700.hf.org:/home/hauke/work/netbsd/1_4/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/SMOKELESS
mac68k
[hauke@espresso] ~ > w
 6:40PM  up 63 days, 15:06, 1 user, load averages: 0.36, 0.14, 0.10
USER    TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
hauke    p0 erbse             6:39PM     0 w

-- DNS, Netatalk, HylaFAX, UUCP, NAT, INN, ...

>- Can the serial ports on a Quadra 800 handle 57,600 baud (or 115,200).
>In the x86 world we have to worry about which UART chip our serial ports
>use when adding a 28.8K or higher external modem (UART buffer
>overflows), is it the same with older Macs?

My IIci can keep up with a 64KBit ISDN line via serial (115KBit), although
it will not do anything else while going full blast.  ;)

	hauke