Subject: Re: Thanks! (RE: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k)
To: <>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/2000 08:05:34

Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com> Answers:
>Architectural limitation.  Mac's don't have DMA, so we have to simulate
>it.  It is _very_ slow.

Not fully true.

The right answer is:

Only some Macintosh have DMA implentemented, so we have...

Example of Apple Computer that implement DMA:

Macintosh IIfx (yes old);
Apple II with Apple SCSI High Speed Card (same age) *.

Emile

* I have a SCSI demo disk that let people see a part of Star Wars (yes, a piece
of the movie) using full Apple IIGS Screen (geyscale) with a perfect image run
flow: around 30 seconds taken from the chase in the meteorite field. This was
done back in 1990 (I think).