Subject: Re: Thanks! (RE: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k)
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: Chris Tucker <nikon@cyberport.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/2000 17:53:22
I can somewhat answer your NAT question: I use a 25Mhz Centris 650
(040) to serve as a NAT box for a network of 4 macintosh clients. It works
every well and "top" reports that the cpu is around 97 percent idle even
when it's under a load...dunno if that means anything or not, but to my
newbie-unix mind that tells me you can connect a lot more than 4 computers
to it.

SCSI: how large is your drive? I had a 230-meg drive in my IIci (another
NetBSD machine I have) and I noticed a good speed jump when I put a newer
1gig SCSI drive in it....I mostly noticed the speed jump when using MacOS.

For extra speed when using the CLI, get "dt" which will give you
white-on-black text, plus mouse support and cut-and-paste ability. dt lets
you use the standard apple-c, apple-v to cut and paste, which I really
like.

dt also displays text many times faster than the standard console or
whatever.

I usually run "screen" atop a dt session for extra coolness and usability.
I have a picture of an SE/30 running NetBSD 1.4 and dt and screen at
http://www.haque.net/screenshots/get_img.phtml?id=212

Also, is X in color in 1.5 or is it still B&W? I got color X working on my
IIci after a bit of trail and error under NetBSD 1.4 and it ran
Windowmaker fine, albiet somewhat slowly. (thanks to paul goyette for his
color X help!!)

paul's site, by the way is at http://www.whooppee.com/

modems: my IIci, which is older than the Q800, seems to be able to use the
external Zoom 56k modem just fine. It connects aroun 44k, though, but that
may just be my phone line's fault. Dunno. My SE/30, however, spits out
error messages when I connect that to the net over a modem. The SE/30 will
connect and stay connected reliably and even do NAT but it will just tell
me that it is having trouble every now and then. I don't recall what the
exact message was, but I do believe it is related to the older uart chip.

All three of my NetBSD macs are very reliabe. I had the IIci do a kernel
panic once shortly after starting dt and accidentally unplugged the
keyboard.

I've had the IIci have uptimes as high as 40 days...it would be higher but
I find myself needing to boot into MacOS every now and then for one reason
or another :D heheh (I have a 250megs MacOS partition which has a lot of
programs and data on it..photoshop, some MS Word documents, etc)

Chris