Subject: Thanks! (RE: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k)
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/2000 19:20:01
Thanks to all of you who helped with the basic install, the Quadra 800
system is running perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I
didn't have to configure X, it just sorta worked out of the box. I do
have a few more questions that someone might be able to answer:

- The SCSI performance seems a little slow.  I know this is a fairly old
machine, but I have a few x86 boxes of similar CPU speed (33mhz), and
the IDE on my 486's seems significantly faster in NetBSD.  Not that I'm
complaining, I'm just wondering if it's the drive or the architecture.
Once something is loaded into memory, it seems to run reasonably fast.

- The installer I found on the Walkthrough page does not create the
/dev/ttyE0 device.  I had to add that manually.  It did however create a
ttye0 (lowercase "e").  Not too sure if that is a bug in the installer
or not.

- How do I enable soft-updates?

- Why does the /etc/rc.conf come so bare?  The 1.4.2 x86 NetBSD
/etc/rc.conf has all sorts of options that are turned off by default,
but are already documented in rc.conf.  Yes, I'm very lazy :)

- If I created a /dev/ttyE1 E2, etc... would I be able to have virtual
terminals? (assuming I enabled them in /etc/ttys).  If so, what key
sequence do I need to use to switch between them?

- What type of stability does this platform offer?  Should I trust it to
do secondary DNS or similarly light tasks for a network of 25
computers?  What about something like more demanding like dialup
NAT/Firewall/Socks5 with 25 computers?

- Can the serial ports on a Quadra 800 handle 57,600 baud (or 115,200).
In the x86 world we have to worry about which UART chip our serial ports
use when adding a 28.8K or higher external modem (UART buffer
overflows), is it the same with older Macs?

Sorry for inundating you all with questions but I'm very excited to have
this running and want to explore every possibility :)

--

Pat Wendorf