Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2000 22:34:30
At 19:19 Uhr +0100 14.12.2000, Pat Wendorf wrote:
>I've read the installation guide and
>the FAQ's which mention the Apple SC Partitioning tool.  I tried the
>tool, but I've found that it tags "*"'s on the 2 partitions (driver,
>MacOS) which signifies that the partitions are in use and cannot be
>modified. Do I need some sort of boot disk, or do I need to reinstall
>MacOS and set the partitions up during the install procedure?  I'm quite
>familiar with Unix, but this supposed Mac "user friendliness" is
>confusing me :)

Well, Unix is definitely superior to the MacOS in that you can easily pull
the rug from under yourself if you feel like it.  ;)

If you want to touch a disk with a formatter on MacOS, it has to be
unmounted, first. I.e., you have to boot from another disk, CDROM or floppy
disk.

Easiest would probably be to get a Disk Tools image from the System 7 or
7.5 distribution, and replace the Disk Setup tool with a patched one.

>I'm sorry if this is also silly question, but is the Mac68k port the
>only one that requires a "stepping stone" OS to boot it?

Think of the MacOS as a large BIOS, if that helps.  ;)

	hauke