Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2000 22:30:54
--- Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org> wrote:
> I recently purchased (very cheaply) a Quadra 800 and
> a Quadra 610 and
> upgraded them to 16 megs of ram for the purpose of
> installing NetBSD (I
> have many NetBSD i386 machines).  I've read the
> installation guide and
> the FAQ's which mention the Apple SC Partitioning
> tool.  I tried the
> tool, but I've found that it tags "*"'s on the 2
> partitions (driver,
> MacOS) which signifies that the partitions are in
> use and cannot be
> modified. Do I need some sort of boot disk, or do I
> need to reinstall
> MacOS and set the partitions up during the install
> procedure?  I'm quite
> familiar with Unix, but this supposed Mac "user
> friendliness" is
> confusing me :)
>
> I'm sorry if this is also silly question, but is the
> Mac68k port the
> only one that requires a "stepping stone" OS to boot
> it?
>
> Please feel free to point me to any documentation I
> may have overlooked.
>
> --
>
> Pat Wendorf

I got lucky I guess.  I had a copy of system 7.5 on
floppies as well as an external SCSI zip drive that I
used with my PC already.  Getting the mac zip drivers
onto my mac from my pc was an adventure, but once I
did that the rest was easy sailing.  I downloaded the
system 7.5 network boot disk from apple and copied the
zip drive extension to it in place of the networking
extension and booted from it.  At that point I used
the SCSI setup utility from my zip drive and got the
hard drive (then an 80 meg) set up for netbsd.  I then
installed netbsd off this same zip drive and that was
that.

You might want to check out this site as it has links
to drivers and system software suitable for older
macs:

http://members.nbci.com/macdrivers/links.html

Lee Reynolds