Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2000 18:03:33
At 8:19 PM -0500 12/14/00, Pat Wendorf wrote:
>"Henry B. Hotz" wrote:
> >
> > At 6:20 AM -0800 12/14/00, Greg Troutman wrote:

> > Right.  You can't reformat the partition that the formatter (or it's
> > OS) is running from.
> >
> > >The easiest way to do this is to get an external SCSI drive with the
> > >MacOS, and install the NetBSD tools and some basic Mac utilities for
> > >partioning hard drives.  You can then attach this drive to any new
> > >Mac you want NetBSD on,
> >
> > Yes this is nice, but you don't have to go this far.  The normal way
> > to handle this on 68k Mac's is to use the Disk Tools boot floppy.
> > Then you install a minimum version of MacOS on a 4+ MB partition that
> > you left for the purpose.  I usually add MacTCP and Fetch to the
> > minimum system and the MacBSD tools, and I make it big enough to hold
> > the biggest installation tar file as well.
>
>Hmm, I'm not familiar enough with MacOS yet to determine what is needed
>for a minimum install, can anyone offer advice on this?

The MacOS installer will tell you how much space you need for the
selected installation options (at least if it's a custom install,
which you need to do if you want to select the "minimum system for
this Mac" option).  2-4 MB should be fine for the basic system with a
minimum of tools.

Looks like the largest installation tar file is 15.5 MB for base.tgz.
I'd say 20 MB should be plenty, but you'll need to download the
tarfiles one or a few at a time.  If you are installing from CD-ROM
or an AppleShare volume then you can make do with the minimum 4MB.
This is for the MacOS tools.

If you are using sysinst then I think it can ftp them over most
supportable network connections, but I wouldn't want to use a ppp
connection even if that is supported.  If you are going this route
and disk space is tight you might consider a 2MB MacOS partition with
just the booter on it.  There is a howto somewhere on creating a
NetBSD boot floppy.  Follow the instructions there and just copy the
floppy contents to your 2MB disk partition since that should be
easier than recreating the same thing with a normal install.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.