Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 1.5 on Mac68k
To: Pat Wendorf <beholder@unios.dhs.org>
From: John Pannell <johnp@positivespinmedia.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2000 18:45:22
Hi Pat-

I have system 7.1 disks, and use the following procedure.  This is very
general, but should get you going... let me know if you want more specifics.

1.  Stick the "Disk tools" disk into the floppy drive on your machine and
turn it on.  You'll boot from the floppy.

2. Use the Apple HD SC Setup to re-partition the hard drive - you can do it
now that you are booting from the floppy.  There is an excellent "how-to"
at:

http://users.erols.com/ewinkler/installguide/installguide.html

3. If you follow all the partitioning instructions from that link, you are
set.  In a recent install I did on a 230MB drive, I left 50MB on the Mac
side for a minimum System 7 install and room for the .tgz files that make up
the NetBSD distribution (Everything except X related files).

4. Once you are done with the disk tools, restart, and stick the "Install Me
first" disk into the floppy drive.  Now you're booting off this disk.  After
the machine boots up, the Apple installer will walk you through an
installation (this is where I finally answer your question :-).  You can
perform a minimum install by selecting the "custom" button from the
installer.  Scroll through the options and select the "min system" for your
machine (I selected min system for Quadra 610, since that's what I recently
installed on).  I also selected "file sharing" and "ethernet support", as I
need to use AppleTalk to move the .tgz files from my internet machine to the
old Mac.

Hope this helps!

John Pannell