Subject: Re: PB 170 serial ports...
To: C.R. Carlson <iowadoc@micron.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/2000 11:10:35
C.R. Carlson wrote:
> >Colin asked:
> >did you enable the ports in the booter?  for some powerbooks i believe you
> >need to check one of the boxes in the serial dialog box to make sure that
> >they are powered up under netbsd.
>
> ** Well Colin, you win the cigar and I now officially qualify for the "OH
> DUH!" award. Yes, I discovered the box in the 'serial port' section of the
> booter, and when I checked it off the modem ran without a hitch. Spent the
> rest of the day running FTP.

cool.  glad i could help.

> >where in the boot did it panic, and what exactly was the panic message?
>
> ** Well first of all, I found out that Hauke Fath posted on an apparently
> identical problem in the archives dated 3/13/00, though I don't think he
> was using a powerbook 170. I get all the way through the device id's (which
> appear to be normal) and just a line past the PRAM announcement (that the
> PRAM time doesn't appear to have been read correctly) when I get
>    panic: cn open: cn_tab->cndev==NODEV.
>    then I get put in the debugger.
> This was with both kernels, in single user mode, even booting from the mac
> side one time. 1.4.3 is running famously, even as I speak.

this one sounds like you need to build the 1.5 devices.  while still
running under 1.4.3, install the new /dev/MAKEDEV script (it's in the
etc.tgz set; i'd extract the set into /tmp or something and then copy the
file over into /dev) and do this:

cd /dev
sh ./MAKEDEV all

then try booting off of the 1.5 kernel again.  hopefully it will get a
little farther along.

-colin