Subject: SCSI error #5 and building devices
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/09/2000 10:24:04
I'm trying to install 1.4.2 on a IIci with a 2GB Quantum Fireball and am
well aware of the issues Installer 1.1g has with partitions larger than 1GB.
Amazingly, base.tgz gets all the way to /var/at before it craps out.

I cpin'ed the SBC kernel and booted it, and the kernel whined there was no
/dev/console. The problem is, unfortunately, when I tried to Build Devices it
gave me the error #5 again and bombed. When I try to "mknod /dev/console
c 0 0" manually from the Mini-Shell, it just says "usage: mknod path
{c|b} maj min." as if I hadn't phrased the command right. I can't seem to
find an answer to this in the FAQ. If I can just get the console working,
or find some alternative way to build a minimum set of devices on the HD,
I can cpin the rest of the packages and finish the installation on the BSD
side of things.

The FAQ made some suggestion that increasing Installer's memory partition
could help, but it's up to 8192K with no avail.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Die, v.: To stop sinning suddenly. -- Elbert Hubbard -----------------------