Subject: Re: 1.5BETA_2 --> 1.5 upgrade...
To: Daniel Parks <danielp@reed.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/2000 11:24:50
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Daniel Parks wrote:

> I recently installed 1.5BETA_2, and got it all configured. How much
> pain would I have to go through if I wanted to upgrade to 1.5?

Redoing the config probably.

If you still have the 1.5BETA_2 etc.tgz, you can untar that in one place
(other than etc), and untar the 1.5 etc.tgz next to it and diff them (say
mkdir /tmp/etc; mkdir /tmp/etc1; cd /tmp/etc; tar xzvf 1.5BETA_2.etc.tgz;
cd /tmp/etc1; tar xzvf 1.5.etc.tgz; diff -r -u /tmp/etc /tmp/etc1 |more ).

That way you see any config changes which happened. Then just apply those
to your existing config, and you're fine.

> What would I have to do? Am I going to have to re-delete sendmail and
> re-install postfix?

It should just be "switch to postfix". 1.5 ships with postfix
disabled. Check out man mailer.conf, which will show you how to switch to
using postfix.

> And finally, is there any reason to upgrade to 1.5?

There were a few security fixes late in the game. By upgrading, you'll
have them. Also, you'll have exactly what everyone else has for 1.5, which
will make bug fixing a bit easier (no question of stumbling over bugs
fixed late in the 1.5 release).

Take care,

Bill