Subject: Re: installation without MacOS
To: NetBSD mac68k port list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/2000 13:12:19
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Tony Mantler wrote:

> "Yup" says me, the guy who takes care of the Linux/Mac68k booter. Macs are
> inherintly very unfriendly to booting anything other than MacOS.
>
> Feel free to write a cold booter though - I wish you luck. :)

A couple weeks ago I started working on just this. I haven't gotten very
far just yet, but I believe that loading a kernel from a UFS or EXT2
filesystem is quite possible.

Right now I'm taking a break from it, but I could pick it up as soon as
later today (or it could be months, I just don't know).

Just in case someone wants to see what I have so far (which isn't much,
just a text output box, and a bunch of test programs leading up to it), I
uploaded my current source to http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/macboot/.

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net