Subject: Re: sysinst
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/2000 19:02:20
Allen Briggs wrote:

>> With the push on for 1.5 Scott Reynolds asked Allen Briggs to
>> look at the code and try to get it running for 1.5.
>
>Which I didn't really get to.  :-(
>
>> At that time the
>> last problem I was aware of was a change to the kernel to allow sysinst
>> access to write and then read the new Apple Disk Partition Map.  I don't
>> know if this was done.
>
>I didn't think it was.  I did try an install with partitioning and I
>hosed my disk, but that was well before 1.5_BETA.  I don't recall seeing
>any fixes go in for that, but I could easily have missed them.

I submitted fixes to the code, but only in the form of PRs.  I didn't
actually commit the changes.  However, even with the changes I made you
still can't re-process the disk partition map; that needs either a change
in the kernel or the proposed IOCTL.  The changes do make sure that
sysinst doesn't try to install onto a disk whose in-core and on-disk maps
are different.  That's the biggest problem the earlier code had and what
caused most of the disk corruption people reported I think.

-bob