Subject: HP Laser Jet.
To: 'MacBSD' <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Thompson <paul@abyss.co.nz>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/2000 20:16:25
Hi, I scored a HP Laser jet with a jetdirect card in it for next to nothing,
while I can print to it from my pc's I would like to set up the printer on
MacBSD, however, I'm completely shagged as to how to do that. I've looked at
the notes on the website, which relate to local printers, IE parallel or
serial.

What I did do is:
1. Edited rc.local to enable lpd.
2. edited printcap.
3. used mknod to make the lp port. (after checking what notes I could find)
4. Tested the ping response from the server to the printer.
5. When I tried to print, files sit in the queue. The queue complains
"Warning: no daemon present"

My printcap: (Largely stolen from the MacBSD list archives :-) )

satan|lp|HP4MPlus:\
        :lp=/var/spool/lpd/lp/null:rm=10.176.20.20:rp=text:mx#0:rw:sh:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:

For the record, lpd-errs state:
	Dec  1 20:08:54 purgatory lpd[166]: /dev/lp: No such file or directory

What do I have to do to make this thing work :-)

Cheers, Paul.