Subject: Re: Hard drives on a IIci
To: Tod McQuillin , Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@YAHOO.COM>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/2000 11:59:48
At 10:07 PM -0500 10/26/00, Tod McQuillin wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Lee Reynolds wrote:
>
> > [...] If I get a 50 pin generic SCSI-II drive, say from Seagate, and
> > try to install it, will it work?
>
>Yes.  Almost any 50 pin narrow SCSI drive should work.  In some cases,
>however, you will need to use an internal scsi cable with a built-in
>terminator rather than the unterminated cable that's already there -- for
>some reason I have found that setting the jumpers on the disk for
>termination doesn't always work.

I used to say that and it's generally true.  But I also have to say
that I got an Apple-brand Seagate out of a Quadra 840av which worked
fine in the Quadra and in a Sun but would not work in a IIcx.

AFAIK the Apple label is only important if you are using a
non-patched version of HD SC Setup (that didn't come with A/UX).  I
suggest you not worry about Apple vice Generic drives.  If you have a
problem it's probably termination and you can hit that either way.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.