Subject: RE: Hard drives on a IIci
To: Tod McQuillin , jshenry <jshenry@mail.uark.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/2000 11:30:19
At 10:23 AM -0500 10/27/00, Tod McQuillin wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, jshenry wrote:
>
> > Those Seagates do draw a lot of current. I have some Hawk series
>drives that
> > won't startup in several of my enclosures because they draw too
>much starting
> > current.
>
>On the other hand, I have hawk ST12400N's in my IIcx and IIci and they
>spin up fine.  So if you have a hawk it's at least worth a try.

Hawk's draw a *lot* less power than Barracuda's.  Approx 2/3 as much
if memory serves.  Of course we're talking startup here which is a
special case, but I think the official rating may be for max draw and
startup is the max draw.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.