Subject: Re: Core's, panic's, and hard lockups
To: Leonard Chung <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/2000 14:08:50
At 3:43 Uhr +0200 28.10.2000, Leonard Chung wrote:

[coredumps with ncrscsi, parity errors with sbc]

>Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this system usable? I'm
>currently running generic -- is there any way for my to compile a new SBC
>kernel that isn't sensitive to parity?

Well, it seems you cannot have your cake and eat it...

My suggestion would be to go out and get a second-hand non-Quantum drive of
decent size. Seagate, IBM, Conner, whatever. I got several 500MB Conner
drives for 40 DEM each (that would be around 18 USD) about a year ago.

Replacing the CDROM drives would probably be more expensive, as SCSI CDROMs
have become rare.

Make sure, though, to use high-quality cabling and an active terminator on
your SCSI chain. Although SCSI 1 allows for a 6 m chain, and mac68k SCSI is
fairly tolerant, hooking up seven devices may be pushing it a bit.

	hauke