Subject: RE: Hard drives on a IIci
To: Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
From: Tony Mantler <nicoya@apia.dhs.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/2000 17:10:18
At 10:23 AM -0500 10/27/2000, Tod McQuillin wrote:
[...]
>Or maybe the open firmware on the PPC sends a start unit command where the
>m68k mac roms didn't.

My 9600/200mp doesn't send a start unit command. I was playing with a 4 gig
Quantum Atlas (full-height 3.5, 7200 RPM - hot potato) that had the ME
jumper set to not start, and it wouldn't respond to the system at all until
I used 'HDT World Control' to send it a Start/Stop Unit command.

I have an old apple HD20/SC zero-footprint case here that never fails to
spin up any drive I put into it, even a full-height 5.25" 130 meg beast of
a drive I got. (sure, it looked kinda silly sticking 2" out of the top of
the case, but it worked for what I needed it for)

Bonus is you could probably pick one up for $5, and chances are you'll find
the makings of a trendy wall clock still bolted down inside. ;)

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada           --           http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/