Subject: RE: Hard drives on a IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: jshenry <jshenry@mail.uark.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/27/2000 09:44:01
Those Seagates do draw a lot of current. I have some Hawk series drives that
won't startup in several of my enclosures because they draw too much starting
current. Unfortunately, even if you delay startup, the supply may not be able
to handle the requirements. My Q700 can't start one, even after the system is
booted. The green light just stays on solid, but the spindle motor never
starts.

Apparently, the power supplies in the PowerPC machines are a bit heftier,
though. I have a 2Gb Hawk mounted in the drive bay of a 7100 (running
mkLinux), and it starts just fine.

I would suggest an actual hard disk enclosure. Some CD-ROM enclosures don't
have enough juice to start a Barracuda or Hawk. BTW - you can boot with no
devices internal to the machine. I've booted with no floppy/hard disk using an
external drive. Great for debugging memory issues.

Seth Henry
jshenry@comp.uark.edu