Subject: Re: Hard drives on a IIci
To: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/2000 22:07:07
On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Lee Reynolds wrote:

> [...] If I get a 50 pin generic SCSI-II drive, say from Seagate, and
> try to install it, will it work?

Yes.  Almost any 50 pin narrow SCSI drive should work.  In some cases,
however, you will need to use an internal scsi cable with a built-in
terminator rather than the unterminated cable that's already there -- for
some reason I have found that setting the jumpers on the disk for
termination doesn't always work.

> I know that Apple crippled their HD SCSI setup program to only work
> with their drives.  I've found a version of HD SCSI Setup 3.0 that was
> meant to be used with A/UX which will supposedly let you format
> non-apple drives.

You can patch the apple standard HD SC Setup 7.3.5 to work with almost any
disk.  Instructions can be found at
http://www.euronet.nl/users/ernstoud/patch.html

> I haven't been able to test it yet.  I'm mostly
> worried about BIOS incompatabilities and issues with
> the formatters capable of creating the A/UX root and
> swap partitions.

HD SC Setup can create AUX partitions (Root, Root & Usr, Usr, swap,
etc) and NetBSD will recognise these as sd0a, sd0b, sd0g, etc.
--
Tod McQuillin