Subject: Hard drives on a IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/26/2000 19:56:36
I've now got a IIci that I'm looking to put NetBSD on.
 I've got an 80meg drive that I'm running in it right
now.  I'd like to see about upgrading the hard drive
to something significantly bigger.  What I'm looking
to know is what will and won't work.  If I get a 50
pin generic SCSI-II drive, say from Seagate, and try
to install it, will it work?  I know that Apple
crippled their HD SCSI setup program to only work with
their drives.  I've found a version of HD SCSI Setup
3.0 that was meant to be used with A/UX which will
supposedly let you format non-apple drives.  Obviously
I haven't been able to test it yet.  I'm mostly
worried about BIOS incompatabilities and issues with
the formatters capable of creating the A/UX root and
swap partitions.

So if anyone has any experience with these issues and
can give me some pointers before I spend money on a
drive I can't use, I'd really appreciate it.

Lee Reynolds