Subject: Re: Apple IIgs stuff (was Re: 512x384 displays)
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/2000 23:12:34
> especially if you only want a cross-compiler; doesn't gcc target the
> '816?

Supposedly a professor had his grad students do it for a class, but the
code was not sent back. I've never seen this thing, only heard of it.

However _GDB_ code for processor "w65" does exist and is currently rotting
away because nobody appears to be using it.

> Now if someone came up with a PMMU addon for the GS (I think the '816
> actually had the pins to support one), I'd love to see a real port of
> BSD to it :) I was running NetBSD on a 4MB 386/25MHz for a while (since
> upgraded to an 8MB 386/33 :), and it was quite usable... my 5MB 12MHz
> IIgs shouldn't be _too_ bad :) I'm sure the lack of 32-bit registers
> would hurt a lot though...

I have been needling WDC at trade shows about the possibility of a 32-bit
chip... my ulterior motive of course is a 65816 plug-in that has the good
stuff needed to run NetBSD on a Zipped GS... heh heh

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com