Subject: Window Manager....and some PPP questions
To: 'MacBSD' <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Carlson, Clarence R., D.O. <Carlson.Clarence@mayo.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/2000 10:48:35
Greetings:

  Thanks once again to all who helped with the window manager questions.
Spent the weekend loading window managers off my CD, then putting them into
my Xsession. Wow, I didn't realise that the CD had so many! Final decision
not made: I think I might stay with Afterstep but actually like icewm and
it's a very close second; has enough goodies to spruce up the display, not
too high in fat. It really helped when I remembered to go to 16bit.
  Anyone have any experience with XFce? Compared to the double digit
megabytes that KDE and gnome take up, it looks spare by comparison, just
wonder what the real scoop is.
  One last question (sorry). Been working on PPP for about two weeks. Read
everything I can find (not a good thing since different authors have
different approaches). Got my CD from Erik, and he throws in the two common
PPP tar.gz packages. Tried both, no joy. Then got a set of instructions off
the net, from one of the macbsd links, using some of Goyettes files but with
a greatly simplified ppp-up file (like a couple or three lines of simple
commands): got the phone to dial, but connect script failed. I don't think
my ISP does PAP, and I have been able to log in off my Newton with an
extremely simple script (send user name, pause, send password, done).
Thought the connect script would work.
  Is there anything new in the area of PPP?? Still pretty much trial and
error? I gotta admit, a simple PPP config file, where you just plug in the
data, much like the mac gui's do, would look pretty good right now.
  Thanks in advance.

 --
"I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy, than be a success at
something I hate."

-George Burns

Clarence R Carlson DO
Physician/Philosopher/Curmudgeon
Occupational Health Services
Albert Lea Medical Center-Mayo Health Systems