Subject: Re: kernel dies in a few hours after clean install
To: T&B <research@tandb.com.au>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/2000 22:37:16
T&B wrote:

>The documentation only seems to mention that "some" Quantum drives require
>the SBC kernel. So I have no idea how to tell which. Yes, the drives I
>have are Quantum, so trying the SBC kernel is one of the next things on my
>list to try. However, since the error does not seem directly related to
>disk access and since (I think) the docs say to try SBC if the other
>doesn't boot (which was not my problem), it seems another stab in the dark.

The problem isn't necessarily caused by Quantum drives; it appears to be
more a function of the combination of some drives and some controllers.
Most times the drives in question seem to be Quantums though.

My system (a Performa-550) has a Quantum drive and ran the 1.4.2 GENERIC
Kerrnel for about eight weeks straight doing the packages builds.

Since the IIcx is an '030 system without an FPU and your report shows an
FPU Trap I wonder if you've installed a 68882 FPU or if you're using the
FPU emulation.  If you don't have a real FPU you might have exposed a
problem in the FPU emulation that has been quite stable on the '030 up to
this point.  FPU emulation on the '040 is still a problem I belive, but
some of the work on it may have inadvertantly introduced a problem for
the '030 systems.

-bob