Subject: Re: Questions about desktops
To: Carlson, Clarence R., D.O. <Carlson.Clarence@mayo.edu>
From: Chris Tucker <nikon@cyberport.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/2000 12:49:14
Hrm, I dunno, KDE just seems too "heavy" to run on a 575. I think you'd
probably need a PPC or pentium to handle all the eye candy of KDE. But i'm
totally guessing here.

You may wish to try usinga more lightweight window manager like Blackbox
(http://blackbox.alug.org) or WindowMaker (www.windowmaker.org).

I prefer blackbox, but had trouble running it in 8-bit color mode. I
successfully ran Windowmaker on my IIci in color and it ran very well. It
should run even better on a 575 due to the faster 040 chip in it.

Speaking of the 575, does it have the LC or full 040 chip?

Lately i've been eschewing X in favor of the CLI-based "dt" program along
with "screen" (http://www.cyberport.net/users/nikon/se30net.jpg)

dt gives you multipled CLI sessions that are switchable via Apple-1,
apple-2, etc. dt gives you white text on a black background which is
nice. dt also gives you mouse support with cut-and-paste apple-v apple-c
capability.

I run screen on top of dt because you can kill screen sessions should one
lock up and i don't know if dt can do that or not. easily.

ct