Subject: Re: serail console
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/2000 18:18:34
On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 8:40 AM, Bradley R. Smith <mailto:brad5903@pobox.com>
wrote:
>When I first started using the serial console I had some problems with
>crashes. I would run the terminal emulator on my G4 and discover that
>the Quadra had dropped into the kernel debugger. I told it to continue
>and everything was fine. This happened more than once but hasn't
>happened recently. Is there some signal you can send down the serial
>line that forces the debugger?

Kernel conf options
options(4)
[--]
    options DDB_FROMCONSOLE=integer
     If set to non-zero, DDB may be entered by sending a break on a serial
     console or by a special key sequence on a graphics console.  A value
of
     "0" ignores console breaks or key sequences, It not explicitly
specified,
     the default value is "1".  Note that this sets the value of the
     ddb.fromconsole sysctl(3) variable which may be changed at run time --
     see sysctl(8) for details.

[--]
     options DDB_ONPANIC
     If set to non-zero, the DDB will be entered upon kernel panic.  The
de-
     fault if not specified is "1".  Note that this sets the value of the
     ddb.onpanic sysctl(3) variable which may be changed at run time -- see
     sysctl(8) for details.

$ cat /etc/ttys
#
#       from: @(#)ttys  5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#       $NetBSD: ttys,v 1.10.8.1 2000/08/12 18:01:48 mason Exp $
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         pc3     off secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   local softcar on secure
#tty00  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty02   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty03   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty04   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty05   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty06   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
tty07   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyp0   none                            network
ttyp1   none                            network
[--]

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.