Subject: Re: serail console
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bradley R. Smith <brad5903@pobox.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/2000 08:40:18
That's all you need to do to switch the console, but you won't be able
to log in on that console unless you've enabled logins on that serial
port. If you don't disable logins on the regular console then you will
get an error (on the serial console) that it couldn't find the device
(ttye0) for the console or something like that. At least that's how it
works on 1.4.0.

Here's a chunk of my /etc/ttys file from a Quadra 700 running 1.4.0
with a serial console:

# If the console is marked insecure, single-user requires
# the root password.
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure

# Define the console that we actually run getty on.
ttye0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure

# Hardwired lines are marked off, by default, so getty(8)
# is quiet when they don't exist.
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  vt100 on secure
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

When I first started using the serial console I had some problems with
crashes. I would run the terminal emulator on my G4 and discover that
the Quadra had dropped into the kernel debugger. I told it to continue
and everything was fine. This happened more than once but hasn't
happened recently. Is there some signal you can send down the serial
line that forces the debugger?