Subject: Re: New snapshot
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/2000 18:45:42
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Space Case wrote:
>
> >I have uploaded a new snapshot to:
> >
> >  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2/mac68k/ ...
> >
> >This snapshot is based on 1.5_ALPHA2 sources of 7 Oct.
>
> I understand the argument and reason for putting the snapshot here rather
> than in the /arch tree where you've always put them in the past.  But
> this directory isn't in the list of sup mirror collections like the /arch
> directory, and that makes it difficult to pull down the snapshot with
> anything but FTP.

I had no idea you could even do that with sup. Sounds pretty crazy.
:-)

> Is there something other than FTP that can be used?

Since you have an account on ftp.netbsd.org, you can use "rsync" with
"ssh" transport. There was even an rsync:// server running for a
while, for folks who don't have accounts, but there was talk of
eliminating that. Not sure of the present status.

> Is there any reason
> the NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2 directory can't be added to the mirror collection
> list for sup?  If the directory is world readable why isn't it added to
> the collection list?

Sorry -- maybe someone else can tell you who's in charge of sup.

> If there's a good reason for not wanting to mirror
> this directory can we just leave it in /arch?

The pre-release directories _are_ expected to be mirrored. I agree
with Todd Vierling that the _ALPHA &c snapshots ought to be built from
tagged sources and assembled just like the official releases. This was
_not_ done with 1.4.2_ALPHA, and when it came time to assemble 1.4.2,
... let's just say "mistakes were made".

Frederick