Subject: Re: newbie - do I *really* need to have MacOS installed on my Mac?
To: None <m.arriaga@ip.pt>
From: J. Seth Henry <jshenry@net-noise.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/2000 09:48:39
The simple answer is "no". Apple has never released the information about
the Mac ROM's that would allow for direct boot as on PC's and other
machines. Even projects in which Apple has been a part, such as MKLinux,
require a minimal installation of MacOS to boot into in order to start. I
keep 5Mb on my Q800 and 10Mb on my 7100 for this purpose. That allows me to
keep a few utilities, such as mkfs, SC HD Setup, and pdisk along with a very
minimal installation of 7.1 and 7.5 respectively.

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com