Subject: newbie - do I *really* need to have MacOS installed on my Mac?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <m.arriaga@ip.pt>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/2000 21:01:42
Hello,

I wish to install NetBSD on my LC630 (it actually is a Quadra630, since it has the 68040 "FPU-complete" CPU).

But there is something I'm still not sure about: do I really need to keep MacOS around?

The 1.42 install-notes say:

Keep in mind that NetBSD currently requires MacOS in order to boot, so it is likely that you will want to keep at least a
minimal install of MacOS around on an HFS partition for this purpose. The size of this partition may vary depending on the
size requirements for the version of MacOS you are using. Of course, if you have MacOS on another hard drive or can boot
from a floppy, feel free to dedicate the entire drive to NetBSD.

The FAQ says:

4.4 Do I have to have a MacOS partition?
No. If the partitioning software allows it, you can allocate all space on a drive to BSD partitions. Note, this drive will
not show up on your desktop. Therefore you will need the booter either on a bootable floppy or on a MacOS partition on another
drive.

So, even if I dedicate my entire internal harddrive to Netbsd, I will still have to boot from another medium on which MacOS
is installed, right? Or has this changed in the mean time?

Is there any other way in which I can "instruct" my Mac to boot directly into NetBSD? Can't I just have my Mac run NetBSD
as its "primary" OS? Is there any way in which I can circumvent MacOS altogether, at least when booting?

Thank you for any help,

Manuel