Subject: Re: Yet another SCSI problem...
To: Carlson, Clarence R., D.O. <Carlson.Clarence@mayo.edu>
From: AstroZomby <astrozomby@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/12/2000 09:38:41
I had the same symptom occur on a MacIIci that I was attempting to install on.
Mine too was locking up at the "so I sez to him..." part.
I tracked down the trouble to what appeared to be a faulty SCSI controller on
the board.

In my case, the Mac system ran fine.  Everything was cool...until I noticed that
If I plugged in both my Zip Drive and my SyQuest drives in, only the Zip was
recognized.  Nobody on the SCSI Chain was sharing an ID...so it was wierd.

Turned out that, I could set the Zip to ID 5 and the SyQuest to ID 3 (the
Internal HD stayed at ID 1) and every time the Zip would show up on ID 6, and
the SyQuest didn't at all.  I finally removed the Zip alltogether, hooked up the
SyQuest on ID 2, and rebooted.  Lo and behold, the SyQuest mounted to the Mac
Desktop, but was on ID 6.

So, basically, the board was only allowing devices to use IDs 1 and 6.

I replaced the MBoard on the IIci (major expense there, $10, thank you eBay )
and now I have the SyQuest showing up on the same ID it's set to.  No more just
1 and 6.

I've yet to try reinstalling the NetBSD since I just put the new board in this
week.  But the new board did solve the issues on the Mac side...so hopefully it
will do the same on the NetBSD side as well.

Good Luck.

-AstroZomby-