Subject: Re: Swap "device not configured"
To: Louis-Philippe Lessard <yayay@mac.com>
From: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/08/2000 03:16:10
--- Louis-Philippe Lessard <yayay@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>

> When I try to activate my swap partition, I get an
> error (something like "Device not configured")
>

> Any idea?

Well the first thing I'd do is look at /etc/fstab and
see where its looking for the swap partiton.  It is
probably on the same hard drive as your root
partition.  If you installed macbsd from the same
instructions I did, you should have a 5mb HFS
partition, followed by a root partition and a swap
partition.  Look at fstab and see what device name is
used for the root partition.  If its /dev/sd0a then
the swap partition is probably /dev/sd0b.  There
should be a listing in fstab for the swap partition
itself.

This is about all I can say without more information
about what you've tried and where you've looked.  If
the swap partition is there you should be able to use
it.  If you didn't create one on install then you've
got problems.  The mkfs program converts the AU/X swap
partition to ffs swap and formats it.  If this wasn't
done then you'll have to go do it.

Lee Reynolds