Subject: Re: 512x384 displays
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <slumped@thekeyboard.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/2000 23:48:40
Hello Tony!

  TM> That would be the Apple 12" display, most commonly
    > seen sitting atop an LC.

That's most probably what I've got, perched quite happily
atop my LC.  Odd though, it doesn't feel at all cramped, I
guess the Mac user interface is more efficient than some.

  TM> It was a decent quality though entirely unremarkable
    > monitor, which could be driven at 512x384x8 (196608
    > bytes)...

Hmm... 192Kb...

  TM> ...with a stock LC or 512x384x16 (393216 bytes) with a
    > vram upgrade.

384Kb...

  TM> Essentially, it was a cheap way of fitting an 8-bit
    > display in only 256k of vram.

Worked too =o)  Thinking about it though, with 256Kb of
display memory you could do 640 x 400 in 256 colours.  It
might have added to the cost of the monitor though.

Regards,
  - Andy.

Free email with cool domains at FriendlyEmail
http://www.mypad.com/