Subject: Re: 512x384 displays
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/07/2000 10:33:22
On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:
> > Not a color display.... unless you're talking about the analog RGB display
> > they used with the IIgs (which wo't work on Macs), which ran at... 320 x
> > 480, I think?  Something really bizarre.
>
> The 512x384 Mac question has been answered, but for those who are
> interested in the trivia, the IIgs video maxed out at 640x200. Very
> rectangular pixels in that mode :) 320x200 was also an option, as were
> all of the pre-IIgs Apple II modes (560x192, 280x192, 80x48, 40x48).

Okay.  I knew it was a really small number in one direction.  200.  That's
right.  640x200 was one of the two SHR modes, and 320x200 was the other.
Those analog displays... some weird resolutions because it didn't matter
much -- fixed sync monitors, just using partial pixels to emulate
different resolutions, IIRC.  One thing about an analog waveform,
resolution becomes a lot less complicated.  :-)

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.
It seems secure at first glance.