Subject: Re: BSD style MacOS partitioner
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/06/2000 00:25:37
Todd Vierling wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Bob Nestor wrote:
>
>: There's also pdisk from the MkLinux crowd, although I don't know if it's
>: license would allow this or if it would be a good choice for new users.
>
>This might work, particularly if it's *IX code that could benefit a
>switchover to sysinst, but...
>
>: When I was working on a new version of Mkfs I had plans of doing disk
>: partitioning and got some of the code done.  You can have that if you
>: want it.
>
>This might not, given some of the circumstances.  What Dan's really asking
>for is, since I'm trying to make the Wasabi NetBSD CD have a HFS volume (to
>make it point-and-click easy to get to the Installer and Booter programs), a
>MacOS program that could go in the same directory as those two, without
>violating Apple licenses and etc.

I guess I'm missing something here then.  If you're looking for a program
than runs under MacOS and does the partitioning that could be pdisk,
although it's not point and click. It also could be an updated version of
Mkfs which is a bit more point and click; at least it's not a command
line utility like pdisk.  Although pdisk is normally found in only PPC
execuatbe images it's possible to build 68k execuatables from the source.
 I have a modified version that I'v used on both 68k and PPC myself based
on the 0.73a source.  The 0.74a source appears to have fixed a problem
dealing with IDE disks, but I was unable to locate the sources for it.

Mkfs is a MacOS application that is totally "owned" by NetBSD.  Or you
might use a 3rd party disk formatter, but none that I know of are in the
public domain.  The old APS disk formatter can still be found on some FTP
servers, although it isn't really freeware.  It has been sold under a
number of different names; TranSoft, APS, RealTech to name a few.
Whoever owns the original OEM code may be willing to cut a deal for
NetBSD, but I don't know who that might be.

If you're talking about a utility that runs under NetBSD then you might
have a problem. The only real choices here are either pdisk or sysinst.
Both have the same problem at the moment and that is making the NetBSD
kernel aware of the ondisk changes and making sure that they will be
processed the same way on the next boot of NetBSD.  At least with the
sysinst approach you have a bit more of an integrated approach to doing
the system installation.

-bob