Subject: Re: Feedback for developers and other users of 1.5
To: Lee Reynolds <leebreynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/02/2000 09:34:25
At 1:10 AM -0700 9/30/00, Lee Reynolds wrote:
>--- "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> > Guessing, from memory, Lee needs to do:
> >
> > cd /
> > tar zxvpf /path/to/base.tgz /usr
> > umount /usr
> > rm -rf /usr/*
> > mount /usr
> >
> > Also he should repeat the tar line for each set that
> > was loaded
> > before he had the zip mounted.
> >

>What I did was install base.tgz, etc.tgz and games.tgz
>onto my 80 meg quantum hard drive.  Then after I got
>the zip drive up and running I moved everything under
>/usr to the zipdrive (mv * /mnt/zipdrive/usr).  Then I
>unmounted the zip drive and remounted it as /usr,
>adding it to /etc/fstab.

This *should* have been good enough.  I think mv preserves permissions.

>I looked in /usr/share/mk for sys.mk and found

I see that F. B. has already responded to this point better than I could have.

>Are there virtual consoles under the Mac version of
>NetBSD?  If so how do you switch between them?

Not directly.  The GNU screen utility reputedly works well.  There is
also a NetBSD specific utility (whose name I forget) which uses the
obsolescent ite console interface.  Both of them seem to install
pretty, judging from the nature of the questions that get asked.

>Also where is a good place to find documentation on
>NetBSD68k?  I mean other than the simple stuff someone
>like me with a Linux background already knows.

Well it's real BSD unix so the O'Reilly BSD 4.4 books are a good
place to start for general background IMHO.  The man pages are more
up to date, but sometimes incomplete or obscure.  For specific setup
procedures there are the howto documents on netbsd.org and at
<http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/index.html> though I see the
latter is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

For what I think you're asking about Colin Wood's FAQ at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/> seems really excellent to
me.  Definitely the place to start so I should have mentioned it
first rather than last.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.