Subject: esp0 error and tape drives
To: NetBSD Mac68k Port <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Herb Singleton <hsingleton@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/30/2000 20:17:52
In preparation for a trial of the Mac OS X beta, I'm trying to backup the
files on my PowerBook on to DAT tapes. I'm using a Sun 5 GB SCSI DAT drive
(I don't know that model # and Sun apparently doesn't see fit to actually
write it anywhere).

My NetBSD 1.4.2 box (Generic kernel compiled for /dev/random support) has
the system on one disk (sd0), and the user directories (/home) on a second
disk (sd1).

Using Netatalk, I am dragging my files to /home and then use "tar -cvP
/files" to put them on to the tape. I've written and read several test files
using this method and it seems to work okay.

Well when I write a large number of files to the tape, I get the dreaded
"esp0: !TC...." errors. The archives seem to imply that this error is a
problem if you're running NetBSD on removable media. Has anyone had this
error just transferring files to a tape drive? Should I be worried?

Herb
Herb Singleton
hsingleton@mac.com
Everything in Acoustics: http://www.cross-spectrum.com