Subject: pppd/tty00 problem with 1.5 alpha of July 16
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/2000 10:31:49
I've been tearing my hair out trying to get a Supra 56k modem working
on a IIcx with the subject 1.5 snapshot.  That's generic #46.

Without going into details, I started with a working configuration
from a 1.4.1 installation on a PC, and went from there including
using cdtrcts.  Doing a stty -ef /dev/tty00 while pppd had control of
the port showed the correct change of baud rate, but some other
handshake configuration than dtrcts.

I switched to /dev/tty01, the printer port, and everything works
perfectly.  Doing a stty shows the correct port configuration.

I swear that changing the device and moving the cable is the only
change.  /etc/ttys has getty off on both lines.  I'd blame hardware,
but the stty shows the software-commanded configuration, right?  How
can that be different?

Does this problem deserve a PR, or is July ancient history?

Possibly relevant hardware notes:

The Supra is a cute little snot that doesn't have room for a 25-pin
connector so they ran a cable out directly to a 8-pin mini-DIN on the
Mac version.  From the dates and the fact that the modem works under
MacOS I have little doubt they wired the signals properly for
hardware handshaking.  They don't document what they did though.

The Mac II machines use a z8530 which IIRC does not run all the
handshaking signals out of the chip on the second port.  I don't
remember if they run all the ones that the Mac uses, but maybe not.
That, and the in-chip priority is why the modem port is labeled for a
specific chip port.

The Mac IIcx has an under-specified component on the motherboard
associated with detecting whether the printer port has a serial
device or LocalTalk.  It will fail if you have a serial device
connected for a long period of time, and I switched my DeskWriter
from serial to LocalTalk a long time ago because of sporadic problems
that could have been related to this.  I don't know how the interface
detects LocalTalk so I don't know if NetBSD would be immune to the
failure or if some handshaking line would go dead.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.